We wrote a lot during 2018. But which stories meant the most to you? Which were most popular?
The first story on our list was consistently the most popular month on month during 2018.
1. The various threats to subsea cables - by far our most read blog of 2018. Almost all countries that have a coastline are connected to a subsea cable. There are over 100 cables damaged every year around the world. We list the types and causes of damage and how 70% of cable damage can be prevented.
2. The accidental fisherman - In the dead of night, one night last June, a fishing vessel got snagged on a fibre optic cable in the North Sea.
3. 7 Subsea cable facts your probably don't know - From the deepest subsea cable to the very first transatlantic communications cable in the 1850's.
4. The chain - When we launched 5 years ago we probably wouldn't have done this. We’d have said no. The complexity. The scale. The responsibility. The uniqueness. Being first – this is genuinely pioneering. And global partnering can be tricky.
5. An introduction to SeaGard - In 2016 UltraMAP and SeaGard made their first public appearance as partners at the Submarine Networks World Conference.
6. UltraMAP welcomes Interchange - The Interchange Group chose UltraMAP’s AssetMonitor to help protect its ICN1 subsea cable.
7. A successful PTC annual conference 2018 - A brief summary of UltraMAP's trip to the 40th anniversary of the PTC annual conference 2018 in Hawaii.
8. UltraMAP welcomes CenturyLink - UltraMAP to use our AssetMonitor and 24/7 monitoring services to help protect CenturyLink's global network of subsea fibre optic cables.
9. The increasing use of AIS technology - Developed in the 1990's, the original purpose of AIS was solely collision avoidance of vessels. These days, AIS technology (Automatic Identification System) is increasingly being used for other purposes in addition to its original intended use.
10. No headline - UltraMAP discusses a story that hit the headlines last October... "Paddington station: Passengers face major disruption."
Thanks to everyone who took the time to read our stories, both on our website and across our social media platforms. It's your input that will now help to shape what we write about during 2019.
The UltraMAP team.
For a demonstration of AssetMonitor, for a consultation or just for a chat, contact us any time.